As working Americans get ready to enjoy a few days of sanity known as “paid time off”, which is usually spent with the family on vacation, preparations are being made for the joyous days ahead spent in airport check-in lines for a zap of radiation identification, stinky airplanes, questionably hygienic hotel rooms and unentertaining vacation venues.
Given the uptight climate these days, one might also want to include setting cash aside for the bail bondsman.
Passengers chanted “lock him up” as United Airlines had a man sporting a Donald Trump “Make America Great Again” campaign hat removed from a flight in Shanghai. The man delayed takeoff for hours as he was escorted from the flight for being belligerent, the airline confirmed in a statement Monday.
…This time, passengers were reportedly upset with the unnamed man in the Trump campaign hat for refusing to allow anyone to sit next to him on Flight 187, apparently because he had been refused an upgrade.
It’s the “little things” that can get Americans unhinged or in trouble. And don’t think it’s just flight time that will provide annoyances that might earn you a trip to the local gulag this summer. Nationwide protests and/or events are scheduled for July 2nd calling for impeachment of the Donald. Ah yes, something to consider for your vacation plans!
Thankfully, colleges and universities are on summer break so speakers (or anyone else) who might trigger “SJW’s” and “snowflakes” won’t be around, allowing colleges to take a break from providing the hi-tech educational tools of crayons, coloring books and safe spaces.
So, even though it’s always something that we’re told that can (or should) annoy us, frighten us, make us angry, exasperate us or simply move us to shut the door on the world and sleep – there are a host of things to be done to avoid flights of fancy into trouble and for the need of the bail bondsman.
- Gardening – physical effort now, sustenance award later in summer, without the chemicals!
- Book reading for pleasure – those of you under 35 should try it. The only thing that might happen is a paper cut if you’re clumsy or if out in public, being left blessedly alone.
- Get a friend, loved one, or your beloved pet, as we do here at the Asylum with Henry, our Editor-in-Chief and watch an old movie. Yeah, they sometimes can be wonderfully corny but depending on the choice (think Casablanca) they usually have a plot, good dialogue, interesting story line, great acting and very attractive Hollywood stars from the golden age of movies. But for the politically correct, you may want to shield your eyes as you’ll probably see most of the characters smoking a cigarette!
- Jazz clubs and the symphony, especially if it’s a concert out “under the stars” provides food for the brain and fresh air for the lungs.
- Botanic gardens – a stress reducing walk through the flora and fauna.
- A leisurely walk through the neighborhood. You might even see one of your neighbors and actually engage in conversation. Most of the time, they won’t bite!
- Treat yourself to dinner at a farm-to-table restaurant. Splendidly delicious, enjoyable and healthy.
- Farmer’s markets. A bounty of good food and great people-watching.
If none of these float your boat, well, there’s something a little more thrilling to try for the more adventurous…
Bear cub helps plant potatoes in Russia (via Russia-Insider.com)
And if none of these offerings are appealing, there’s always vodka and mint kombucha over ice!
Photo credit (all photos): unsplash.com/@haleyphelps
Gardening and reading and old movies! All good ideas! If I had a bear like that my garden would be swell in no time 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person
I so got a hoot out of that bear….only in Russia, I guess. 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person